The Turkey Reuben: A Delightful Twist on a Classic Sandwich
When it comes to sandwiches, there are few that can rival the timeless appeal of the Reuben. With its combination of savory ingredients and tangy dressing, this sandwich has become a staple in delis and restaurants around the world. But what happens when you take the traditional corned beef and replace it with tender slices of turkey? You get the Turkey Reuben, a delightful twist on a classic sandwich that is sure to satisfy even the most discerning taste buds.
A Brief History of the Reuben Sandwich
Before we dive into the specifics of the Turkey Reuben, let’s take a moment to appreciate the origins of the original Reuben sandwich. While there are several theories about its creation, the most widely accepted story dates back to the early 20th century.
Legend has it that the Reuben sandwich was first crafted by Arnold Reuben, the owner of Reuben’s Delicatessen in New York City. According to the tale, one evening in 1914, a group of poker players requested a late-night snack. With limited ingredients available, Reuben decided to combine corned beef, sauerkraut, Swiss cheese, and Russian dressing between two slices of rye bread. The result was an instant hit, and the Reuben sandwich was born.
The Turkey Reuben: A Healthier Alternative
While the traditional Reuben sandwich is undeniably delicious, it can be quite heavy due to the rich corned beef. That’s where the Turkey Reuben comes in. By swapping out the beef for turkey, you can enjoy all the flavors of the original sandwich with a healthier twist.
Turkey is a lean protein that is low in fat and calories, making it an excellent choice for those looking to watch their waistline. It is also a great source of vitamins and minerals, including vitamin B6, niacin, and selenium. By opting for a Turkey Reuben, you can indulge in a satisfying sandwich without the guilt.
The Recipe: How to Make a Turkey Reuben
Now that we’ve established the benefits of the Turkey Reuben, let’s dive into the recipe. Here’s what you’ll need:
- 8 slices of rye bread
- 1 pound of sliced turkey breast
- 1 cup of sauerkraut, drained
- 8 slices of Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup of Russian dressing
- Butter for grilling
1. Preheat a skillet or griddle over medium heat.
2. Spread Russian dressing on one side of each slice of rye bread.
3. Layer the turkey, sauerkraut, and Swiss cheese on four slices of bread.
4. Top with the remaining slices of bread, dressing side down.
5. Butter the outsides of the sandwiches.
6. Grill the sandwiches in the skillet or griddle until the bread is golden brown and the cheese is melted, about 3-4 minutes per side.
7. Remove from heat and let cool for a few minutes before serving.
Feel free to experiment with the recipe by adding your own twist. Some popular variations include adding sliced avocado, substituting Thousand Island dressing for Russian dressing, or using marble rye bread instead of traditional rye.
Food and Drink Pairings
Now that you have your Turkey Reuben ready to go, it’s time to think about what to serve alongside it. Here are a few food and drink pairings that complement the flavors of the sandwich:
- Classic dill pickles: The tanginess of the pickles cuts through the richness of the sandwich, creating a perfect balance of flavors.
- Sweet potato fries: The sweetness of the fries pairs well with the savory elements of the Turkey Reuben.
- Coleslaw: A refreshing coleslaw adds a crunchy texture and a hint of sweetness to the meal.
- Craft beer: A hoppy IPA or a malty amber ale can stand up to the bold flavors of the sandwich.
- Iced tea: A cold glass of iced tea provides a refreshing contrast to the richness of the Turkey Reuben.
The Flavor Profile of the Turkey Reuben
The Turkey Reuben offers a delightful combination of flavors that is both familiar and unique. The tender slices of turkey provide a mild and slightly sweet taste, while the sauerkraut adds a tangy and slightly sour note. The Swiss cheese brings a creamy and nutty flavor, and the Russian dressing ties everything together with its zesty and slightly spicy profile.
When all these elements come together, you get a sandwich that is savory, tangy, and satisfying. The Turkey Reuben is a crowd-pleaser that will leave you craving more.
Choosing the Best Ingredients
When it comes to making a delicious Turkey Reuben, choosing the right ingredients is key. Here are a few tips to help you select the best components for your sandwich:
- Turkey: Opt for high-quality, thinly sliced turkey breast. Look for turkey that is free from additives and preservatives.
- Rye bread: Traditional rye bread is the classic choice for a Reuben sandwich. Look for bread that is dense, flavorful, and has a slightly sour taste.
- Sauerkraut: Look for sauerkraut that is crisp and tangy. You can find sauerkraut in the refrigerated section of your grocery store or make your own at home.
- Swiss cheese: Choose a Swiss cheese that is creamy and has a slightly nutty flavor. Avoid processed cheese slices and opt for freshly sliced cheese instead.
- Russian dressing: You can find Russian dressing in most grocery stores, or you can make your own by combining mayonnaise, ketchup, horseradish, and spices.
The Turkey Reuben is a delightful twist on a classic sandwich that offers all the flavors of the original with a healthier twist. By swapping out the corned beef for tender slices of turkey, you can enjoy a satisfying meal without the guilt. The combination of savory turkey, tangy sauerkraut, creamy Swiss cheese, and zesty Russian dressing creates a flavor profile that is both familiar and unique.
So why not give the Turkey Reuben a try? Whether you’re looking for a quick and easy lunch or a crowd-pleasing dinner, this sandwich is sure to hit the spot. Just